Tuesday, August 12, 2008

More Mississippi Mysteries

I have read through 2 more of Phil Hardwick's Mississippi Mysteries. They are for the most part delightful books. Probably not something that would appeal to someone with no ties to Mississippi.

Vengeance in Vicksburg is full of history, just as Vicksburg is... and of course their is a murder for Jack Boulder to solve. I live just east of Vicksburg and shop there regularly. ... and I have, of course, been to many of the historic sites found there. The story here is a good one... some fun characters to meet.... not a huge twist at the end, but a slight one... although even a mild mystery buff can figure out who-done-it.
Collision in Columbia disappointed me a bit. Again, I know this town. My father-in-law was raised there... so many of the places mentioned I knew. The story is a good one, but there are some very contrived moments where characters ask dumb questions so that the other character can fill them in on background info. The story would have been fine without it. Also, some of the history shared is pushed a bit. In one part the character reads from a history book and it is quote verbatim. I also didn't like the ending. It just seemed to miss the mark to me.

No comments: