Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Lumby Lines by Gail Fraser

While standing in line waiting to pick up a book on hold at the local library, I decided to peruse the new fiction... as I often do. There I was intrigued by the cover art on a book called The Lumby Lines. I read the back summary and thought it sounded nice, so I gave it a try. I am so glad I did! What a fun read! What a fun place. I saw a review that said it was like Mitford... not so... not really. Yes, it is a small town with the eccentricities you find there, but it is very different from sweet gentile Mitford. Lumby is a diamond in the rough in the Pacific Northwest that doesn't really want to be found... and the folks there are not to fond of new people moving in. So they aren't all that thrilled when a young couple from Virginia by a long abandoned monastery and set out to create an Inn.

Lumby will make you laugh and cry... but mostly laugh! I so wish I could share some of the antics! And oh the treasures that are found... both tangible and non-tangible. You will fall in love with Mark and Pam Walker and with the various Brothers who were once at Montis Abbey. A truly delightful read!

There are 2 more books out in this series and a fourth one coming.. and I plan to read them all!


2 comments:

GailFraser said...

Thanks very much for the kind review - I'm glad my husband's cover art caught your eye.
It's so rewarding when folks enjoy reading my novels as much as I did writing them. I've always felt that Lumby is almost a state of mind in addition to a being the quirky backdrop for my characters ... all and all, a comfortable escape from some of the harsher realities of the world today.
Wonderful blog with a important purpose. Thanks again.

Danon said...

I was looking for another Mitford type series. Not the same but with small town flavor. I was shopping on Amazon for my Kindle, saw the cover for the Lumby Lines and knew I had to go to Lumby so I purchased the book. After reading 1/3 I purchased the other 2 books in the series. Gail Fraser is amazing, I am so thankful I found this series, and I hope she adds more. I know you can't judge a book by it's cover HOWEVER, it was the cover that caught my eye.
This is a wonderful series and I think anyone who doesn't get to visit Gail Fraser's Lumby is missing out on a wonderful escapade.