Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Sisterchicks in Gondolas by Robin Jones Gunn


This is my favorite Sisterchick book so far (and I have read them all ... even the newest one set in England). I don't know that the adventure is greater... the characters more real...the message deeper, but it just spoke to my heart. I needed to hear what this book said.


I enjoy reading the Sisterchick books. They are fun tales full of laughter and tears and.. well fun. But there is also something to be learned in each book. And the cool thing is instead of just reading about it, you get to experience it as the characters learn.


The Sisterchicks in this book are a tad older than I remember the earlier ones being... they are over 50... and they are off to Venice where they communicate in spite of a huge language barrier.... set out to taste ever flavor of Gelato they can find.... and find goodness and mercy following them all the way.


This Sisterchick book is all about grace... about joy in the midst of circumstances... about God being there even when you don't sense Him.... and about life not being over (nor service and ministry) just because you are "older".


An excellent read!

2 comments:

Cecelia Dowdy said...

I've read two of the Sisterchick books. One was set in Hawaii, and the other?? The place escapes my mind! Poland, maybe? The main character had a rocky relationship with her mother-in-law, who never approved of her. She goes away on a trip to visit her aunt, whom she's never met? I just remember them swimming in some hot water some place and it was freezing cold outside!!

Both books were enjoyable, and I'll need to read the rest. I've met this author at writers conferences in the past. I told her how much I enjoy her books!

BarbC said...

Those are the first 2 Sisterchick books.... Sisterchicks on the Loose is set in Finland... and it is followed by Sisterschicks Do the Hula. Both are good, but I think the stories get richer as the series progresses.