Saturday, February 16, 2008

Front Porch Princess by Kathryn Springer


I have no idea how long this book has been hiding under my bed (along with a zillion other to-be-read-one-day books!), but when I went searching for something light and cute that wouldn't tax my tired brain, I knew this was it! Just look at the title... Front Porch Princess.. the subtitle... Confessions of an ex-beauty queen... and the cover art... this was not going to be a book that in any way made me think! Little did I know....




Princess starts out innocently enough as a bit of fluff and puff.... lots of snickers and giggles as I pictured the various characters in this small town and the situations that unfold for Elise... I mean imagine getting a notice in the mail that someone has nominated you for a Proverbs 31 Woman Pageant! Is there a woman alive who isn't a tad afraid of the Proverbs 31 woman?




What I didn't expect to find was a story that dealt with letting go of our past.... embracing what is right before us... all the blessings God gives us that we ignore because life didn't really go the way we planned. It's about letting our children grow up and be who God wants them to be and not necessarily who we think they should be. It's about being comfortable in our own skin and not having to be perfect all the time.




Yes, this book is fun and will make you laugh, but it will definitely make you stop and say "Hey, do I do that?" It is a bit like the Mary Poppins theory that a spoonful of sugar helps the medcine go down. In this case, a book full of fun helps the conviction fall.




There is a book 2 being released this year... in March or May I believe. And I will most definitely be getting it! It focuses on one of the "side" character in Princess... and I can see at least 1 (if not 2) other characters that need their own book too! So I am hoping Springer has their stories in the works!




No comments: