Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Canary Island Song by Robin Jones Gunn

I fell in love with Gunn's writing when I read my first Sisterchick novel. They are chick lit at it's best! Canary Island Song reads a great deal like a Sisterchick novel and I loved it.  Gunn loves to travel and she takes the reader along with her through her vivid detailed descriptions of place and people... foods.... sounds and even smells.  I have never been to the Canary Islands, but I feel as if I have.  I guess this is a bit of vicarious living!

Canary Island Song appears to center around Carolyn and her life.  As is with most of us, things did not go the way she planned. She has regrets, hurts, doubts and fears.  So she runs away... to the Canary Islands to see her mother. And while there is a great deal of focus on Carolyn and her journeys (she has more than one and all are not physical), this book also focuses on her mother and her daughter... three generations... some of the same struggles... some different... all looking for something and holding to each other.  A beautiful generational picture of womanhood.




No comments: