Saturday, February 27, 2010

A Measure of Mercy by Lauraine Snelling

I absolutely love every series Snelling has written concerning the Red River of the North. I love the families who settled or went through Blessing, MN. I miss the ones who have gone home to the Lord like Agnes. I have watched wee ones grow into adulthood and have families of their own. And even though these books are set in the late 1800s until shortly after the turn of the century, I feel as if I have been there very moment!

It was no surprise then that I was delighted to see a new Blessing series on the shelf at my local library! A Measure of Mercy is book one of the Home to Blessing series. I have savored ever word... catching up on the Bjorklund's and all their family and friends... meeting new folks... marvelling at the changes in Blessing (and those to come!)... it has been a wonderful trip and I cannot wait for future books to take me back!

Measure focuses, for the most part, on Astrid as she pursues medicine and struggles with knowing God's call on her life. Is it to return to Blessing and start a hospital with Dr. Elizabeth or to go to Africa as a medical missionary? And then there is Emmy, a precious little native American girl left in the Bjorklund's barn on a cold winter night. Who does she belong to? And Benny, a street urchin hit by a wagon who is now a double amputee at the age of 6. How will he survive with no family? Joshua Landsverk has returned to Blessing, not to farm but to find honest work, make his own way, and hopefully win the heart of that special someone he can't get out of his mind.

Life ebbs and flows in Blessing much as it does today wherever you live. There are decisions to be made... choices... that effect more than just yourself. There are lives that need someone to care for them.. those who need to be loved. There are struggles and hardships and sorrows and there are joys and happy moments to celebrate.

No doubt you can jump in with this series, but I highly recommend backing up and reading all the books connecting to Blessing. The 4 series are Red River of the North, Return to Red River, Daughters of Blessing and Home to Blessing. A complete list of books can be found at Snelling's website: http://www.laurainesnelling.com/

No comments: