Friday, December 26, 2008

The Shack by William P. Young

I have been trying to determine how to review this book. It is virtually impossible to do so without giving away parts of it. My friend, Cecelia Dowdy, wrote a wonderful review on her blog recently:


I also found this wonderful review: http://emilygracewriting.wordpress.com/2008/08/13/defending-the-shack/

I know that this book has been talked about a great deal and seems to be rather controversial among Christians. Both of my children have read it… one loved it, the other hit a point and refused to finish it. I can see parts of it that might bother some folks. I certainly don’t agree with the way everyone in the book is portrayed, however I was able to look past it and focus more on the story.

Overall I enjoy the message of the book. It focuses a great deal of God’s love for us… His plan for each of us… trusting Him… forgiveness… issues that are of great importance to everyone. However, I will say that I felt the Trinity was treated too casually. I love that through Christ we are able to have an intimate relationship with God, however, I don’t think should lessens our reverence towards Him nor does it diminish His Awesomeness. I felt The Shack did that.

For those who have never heard of this book, the main character is a father who has been through a horrible tragedy and has pulled away from God. One day he finds a note in his mailbox asking him to come to the Shack and it is signed Papa... his wife’s special name for God. Mac doesn’t want to go.. he feels certain it is a cruel joke.. and yet he is drawn to follow through and make the trip. Once at the Shack he finds more than he ever expected… a personal encounter with the triune God all separate and all human.

There is no doubt parts of this book could be offend some readers…. No doubt you will disagree with parts of it… I, however, do not see it as blasphemous or heresy…. Just a very different perspective.

1 comment:

Cecelia Dowdy said...

Interesting review! Thanks for sharing and thanks for posting a link to my review!