Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Thursdays at Eight by Debbie Macomber

I have really become a big fan of Macomber. My friend, Jody, introduced me to her a year or so ago. Her books are not Christian fiction, but they are clean... and often issues of faith come up. Occasionally there is some language (this book has a tiny bit) and I know in one or two of her books characters sleep together outside of marriage. Interesting thing about that, to me, it isn't glorified... in fact, the 2 books I am thinking of have consequences to those actions.

All that is said as a bit of a "warning" to those who read Christian fiction and might try a Macomber book. They are really good!

When I read the synopsis of Thursdays at Eight I knew I would love it! Four ladies at different stages of their lives and going through different seasons meet at a journalling class. As friendships develop and the class ends, they decide to keep meeting once a week for breakfast and so the Thursday Breakfast Club is formed.

We, the readers, are given a "fly on the wall" view of the club and the lives of these ladies. We watch Claire deal with her husband's infidelity and divorce; we watch Liz seek to find purpose for her life; we see Karen work through her dreams and learn that what you want isn't always what you need; and we sit with Julia as she comes to term with a late in life unexpected pregnancy.

This is a book about life and about friendships... those wonderful relationships women seem to form that keep us sane!

Great read! My only regret is I can't go visit them all again and see where they are now and what they are doing!

1 comment:

Cecelia Dowdy said...

I recently "discovered" Macomber myself. Funny thing is, I know she's not considered Christian fiction, but her books are clean and wholesome. HOWEVER, during my last few trips to Family Christian Bookstore, I saw some of Macomber's books on the shelf!

Also, ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers) has Macomber on staff as keynote speaker at their annual conference next year.

It's almost as if she hovers around the perimeter of Christian fiction...like she's almost Christian fiction, but not quite?