Thursday, September 25, 2008

John's Quest by Cecelia Dowdy

Over the years, I have "met" several authors online. It has been fun to talk with them, especially through the writing and publishing process. One of my author-friends is Cecelia Dowdy. Cecelia keeps me posted through her blog ( http://ceceliadowdy.blogspot.com/ ) and my online Christian Books List about her upcoming books. So I was thrilled to read John's Quest. It seems like she finished writing it forever and a day ago and I wondered if I would ever get to read it! LOL! Well, I finally did and it was worth the wait!

John's Quest covers a lot of unfamiliar territory. It deals with an abandoned child... a single woman rearing a child that is not her own... the relationship between a believer and non-believer... agnosticism... blindness.... and Dowdy handled all of this beautifully without making any one thing the main focus. It all wove together into complex lives that in many ways mimic what we all are dealing with... trust, seeking God's will and guidance, uncertainty, faith, love.


In John's Quest, Monica Crawford goes from being a successful career woman who has her life on track and organized to being the single mom of an angry, street smart, 7 year old who has been left on her doorstep. Add to it that Scotty is blind and hasn't really been taught to work with his disability and the fun begins. Enter John French... volunteer extraordinaire. John is hired to tutor Scotty, but along the way he finds that he is drawn not only to the child, but to his Aunt Monica.... and Monica is drawn to John... but there is a hitch, a big one. John is a devout Agnostic... and Monica is a strong Believer... and so that is that... or is it?


I highly recommend John's Quest. It is a fun yet thought provoking book. And be on the lookout for more books by Cecelia Dowdy.... I know she has one or two more in the works right now!


1 comment:

Cecelia Dowdy said...

Thanks so much for featuring my book on your blog! I appreciate your kinds words!