Monday, May 26, 2008

Dawn's Light by Terri Blackstock


I love Terri Blackstock's books, but when I started the first book in her Restoration series (Last Light) I was a bit worried. The premise seemed a bit bizarre... almost a tad science-fictiony and I am not a sci-fi girl. But I was quickly hooked and was sad to see the series come to an end with this 4th and final installment.




If I could, I would have everyone read these books. They are certainly entertaining, but more than anything they make you sit back, look at your life and consider... consider how you would make it without all the "conveniences" we consider necessities like electricity, running water, gas, cars, a/c, heat, access to our money through banks, public transit, phone service, television, internet... and so much more.




In the Restoration series all of those things are stripped away. If it in anyway is effected by electricity it no longer works... and I must add that the reason for the crisis is plausible. I appreciate that Blackstock thought this through carefully and didn't just toss out some odd tragedy to cause all this chaos.




In this series, Blackstock shows us a world where we are stripped bare before all... and more importantly before God. All the distractions of this world come to a halt and while there is chaos at the beginning, it gives way to a simpler lifestyle that focuses more on survival than on amassing stuff and status... and many of the characters turn to God. Some knew Him and were faithful before this began... others knew Him but were busy with life... others didn't have a clue.




In Dawn's Light the crisis is coming to an end... but other things are beginning. The beginning of rebirth and renewal.. the beginning of a life together.. the beginning of a new creation in Christ... as with many books there is no way to really talk about what happens in this book without giving thing away.. and I cannot do that. All I can do is say PLEASE read this series.. it is so very worth it!



There are 4 books... and they must be read in order ... Last Light, Night Light, True Light and Dawn's Light.




No comments: