Saturday, May 17, 2008

A Daughter's Inheritance by Tracie Peterson & Judith Miller

Tracie Peterson and Judith Miller have teamed up again to write the Broadmoor Legacy series. I have no doubt it will be as wonderful as their earlier collaborations. A Daughter's Inheritance is book one of this new series.

The premise isn't all that original. A wealthy young woman receives a large inheritance. Some in the family think she doesn't deserve it and plot to take as much of it from her as possible. At the same time, she realizes she is in love with a member of the servant class... a social faux pas of grand magnitude at the turn of the 20th century.

What is original are the various side lines and stories that surround this family, as well as the in depth characters.

I confess it took me a bit to get "into" the story, but by chapter 4 I was hooked and I am looking forward to reading the future Broadmoor books. As always, Peterson and Miller left a good bit hanging at the end of book 1. Enough to keep the reader wanting more, but not so much as to totally frustrate.

For me, this book is an escape to another time, another place and another way of life! While I am sure things like this really did happen, it reads more like fantasy to this middle class down to earth Southern girl.


No comments: