Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Quilts of Lancaster County Series by Barbara Cameron

These 3 books were all freebies at one point for my Kindle and so I snatched them up. They have 3 things I love in a book.. Christian Fiction, quilting and Amish.  I had never heard of them nor of the author, so I wasn't certain they would be worth reading. I was soo wrong! They were great and I look forward to purchasing more of her books in the future.

One thing I loved about each book is the look at the Englisch vs. Plain Worlds... and in these books there are Englisch drawn to the simple ways of the Amish versus Amish wanting to get out. Often in the Amish based fiction I read, the main thrust are Amish wanting to leave their culture.. their faith.  Granted they often come back, but still the desire to leave is the crucial.  And I don't doubt that is true in some Amish families.  But I also think there are those from the outside world who are intrigued by and drawn to the simpler life of the Amish. I confess that I would love to experience some of it myself. I am just not ready to give up all my Englisch ways!

Here is a bit about each book.... Each book builds, so be aware the reviews may give away a bit of the story from the earlier book(s).  

A Time to Love... Jenny King is a well-known reporter who heralds the stories of children in war torn countries.. pleading their case before the public in the hopes of bringing them peace and safety.  But then the violence steps in and tries to take her life as she is severely injured in a bombing.  Once released from the hospital, Jenny needs a place to recuperate.  She goes to live with her Amish grandmother... stepping into a world she has only experienced on summer visits.  In Paradise she finds love and time to heal physically, but she also comes face to face with lost love and her uncertain future.  Will she step back into the fray or choose a new path.


A Time to Heal ...  When Christopher Marlowe shows up in Paradise to talk with Jenny, his hope is to find answers and peace for the torment he carries inside.  Instead he meets Hannah and learns that his preconceived notions about Amish maidens are a bit off. Sparks fly from the start between these 2 and it becomes evident that Chris is not the only one who has hurts that needs tending.  Can they put aside their differences and forge a life together? Can either one give up the life they know.. one Englisch, one Plain.  And can they survive the evil that lies in wait to destroy them both?




A Time for Peace...  Jenny has what she has always wanted. A husband and children. But she did not give birth... she "inherited" them as it were.. and she desires to carry a child.. to hold a baby... to have someone all her own.  The bitterness and anger build as she discovers secrets from her past and she mistakenly blames others for her pain and the loss she feels.  Can she learn to forgive.. to open her eyes to God's blessings.. to trust in God's sovereignty in her life?

This is a wonderful series! I wish it could have continued. I would love to visit more with these lovely characters and see what all God has in store for them.


No comments: