Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

So for my first run at the classics, I have decided to read the Anne series by Lucy Maud Montgomery.  I adore the movies made about Anne starring Megan Follows, as well as the Avonlea series that was on the Disney channel for a while.  So it stands to reason I would enjoy the books that started it all.

I confess I feared I would not enjoy reading this first book.. Anne of Green Gables.  It is difficult for me to read a book once I have seen the movie of it.  It is like hearing the punchline of a joke before the joke is told.  Takes the wind out of it.  But what I found with Anne is I loved it all the more. There were very few things that differed from the book and the movie.. and what did was trivial and in no way affected the storyline.  I laughed because I saw the movie in my head while reading... the characters were so very clear to me.

The first chapter or two I had to push myself a bit since I knew what was going to happen, but by chapter 3 or 4 I found I was delighting in reading the adventures I knew so well. I've no doubt I will enjoy the rest of the series and have a different experience with them as I don't know the second movie as well and have never seen the final one of the set... and sure not everything in the 8 book series is covered in 3 movies!

If you are unfamiliar with the Anne books, they are set on Prince Edward Island in Canada. Anne is an orphan girl who goes to live with a spinster and her bachelor brother. She has many escapades and adventures as she grows up with Marilla and Matthew.  You will find yourself vacillating between emotions on this roller coaster ride!

A fun book for all ages!

No comments: