Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Passion Redeemed by Julie Lessman

A Passion Redeemed is Lessman's 2nd book in The Daughters of Boston series. (set in Boston and Ireland, early 1900s) This is most definitely a series that needs to be read in order! And one I highly recommend any lover of Christian Historic Fiction to read! Even if you aren't a fan of Christian Fiction, read this series... it might change your mind!

Charity O'Connor was born beautiful and early on became aware of the sway she held over people. She is use to getting whatever she wants... that is until she sets her sights on Mitch Dennehy. Mitch is far from immune from Charity's beguiling ways, but he is determined to not fall prey to them. So Charity turns things up a notch and enters into a dangerous partnership that almost costs her life.

While this is a lovely romantic tale with a bit of adventure woven in, there is a deeper story... one of a young girl so broken and hurt that she creates a wall around her heart and refuses to let real love in... of a girl who sees her worth only through the eyes on men who admire and desire her beauty... of a girl who feels unloved by her earthly father and her heavenly Father and at a loss to rectify either relationship... it is at its heart a story about a heart that needs Jesus.

SPOILER ALERT... this next part gives part of the storyline away and a bit of the ending, so if you plan to read the book you may want to stop here.


*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*


I was very intrigued at the "why" behind Charity's hard heart and her anger at God and her father. I actually liked how Lessman worked in the childhood abuse of a relative. Not that I like the idea of that happening! But for whatever reason it caught me off guard. I think because I wouldn't expect that subject matter in a book set in 1919. I believe it was handled very well. While Lessman didn't sugar coat the situation, she also didn't provide gory details that we all can conjure up with our imaginations.

My one "complaint" came with the ending. I wasn't sure I really liked the ending. Didn't really like with whom Charity ended up. BUT I have started book 3 and it works! LOL!

I do love this series.... the settings... the characters... the conflicts... all of it!

No comments: