Friday, October 26, 2007

Where My Heart Belongs - Tracie Peterson


I was at my local library picking up a book recently and as is my habit, I scanned through the new books section. I picked up several books including this new one by Peterson. And I am so glad I did!


Where My Heart Belongs is loosely based on the parable of the Prodigal Son, but in this case the prodigal is a daughter. When Amy is 18, she demands her family give her the trust fund her grandmother has left her, she changes her name and she leaves. 12 years later she returns home to find her mother has died, her father is gravely ill and her sister is full of bitterness and hate. Amy's life hasn't been a bed of roses. She has many regrets, but she also has Jesus and she is determined to set things right.


Peterson does a great job of balancing the story. Yes, we see into the life of the prodigal, but we also see into the lives of those left behind. And while it is easy to think the prodigal is the only one with regrets, the only one who made bad choices, Peterson shows that is not the case. Just because you do what you think is right, doesn't mean you go about it the right way. Amy's sister, Kathy, has hardened her heart and pushed aside everyone who loved her. She has lived the last 12 years in a self righteous state, knowing she is the good daughter because she stayed and cared for her parents. But she is just as miserable as Amy.


This is a wonderful story about the consequences of our actions... how they effect more people than we realize. It is also a story of forgiveness and moving on... of second chances and fresh starts.


It was, for me, one of those books I wanted to read in one sitting... and I almost did! Look for it in your library or bookstore. You won't regret reading it!


Barb

1 comment:

Cecelia Dowdy said...

This book sounds amazing, and Peterson is one of my personal favorites! I'll be sure to keep this one in mind!