Thursday, May 28, 2009

Sugar and Grits - DiAnn Mills, Martha Rogers, Janice Thompson, Kathleen Y'Barbo

I was at my local library last week and saw this book on one of the New Fiction shelves. The title intrigued me (I love grits... without sugar), but what really grabbed me was one word in the tag line: "Southern Hospitality Enriches Mississippi Romances"... Mississippi... I am a Mississippi girl... I love my state... the people, the places, the food, the stories... so I knew I had to read this collection.

The stories are set in the fictional town of Calista, MS and revolved around a group of 4 unlikely friends who meet weekly for Bible study. There is Berta who owns Bert's Dirt, a bulldozing service.... Dottie Jean, owner of the Catfish House (reading about her food made my mouth water.. I love Catfish!).. Sassy, a spitfire who owns the local bait shop... and Sue Ellen, the new owner of the local beauty parlor. Each lady finds love in a unique way and often humorous way.

These are 4 light-hearted fun reads... perfect for summer time relaxing... I enjoyed them while sitting in the back yard keeping an eye out for a new puppy exploring his new turf!

No comments: